Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Day 3 - Hitting Home

Well, I certainly don’t feel any pain from the activities I’ve been doing. Can’t say that I’m really pushing myself at this point either, but I did notch up the leg lifts a tad. The big thing for me is that because of the review of Day 1 and Day 2, I really feel pathetic. My eating patterns are known and established, it’s in my face immediately. There’s no hiding.

I made an effort on Day 3 to change that behavior. I actually resisted eating two times during the day. The first time is when I roamed over to the fridge out of habit midday, just looking for something. A light bulb went off in my head telling me, “are you really that hungry? You know you’re gonna have to write this down.” So I turned around and went back into my office. The second time in the day was when the kids were eating salami sandwiches. I’m not one to go through the effort of preparing a whole sandwich, but since I’m a grazer, throwing a couple to five salami slices down my throat in passing is nothing to me.

If my grazing tendencies aren’t apparent enough, I have my kids to remind me how pathetic my eating habits have become. After I asked the kids who’s half eaten pear was sitting on the counter and if they were done eating it my oldest replied, “you can finish it Dad.” You-can-finish-it-Dad. That’s right, I always fly over their plates when they are through eating and finish it off. Sometimes I even point at a half eaten part of their meal that I know I stand a good chance at getting and just point at it. It’s actually become sort of a game. I stand over them, point at the piece of food I’m interested in and they tell me “go ahead” or “no!” A nice awareness moment indeed.

So Day 3 was ‘awareness and try to change’ day. Partially because it’s the right thing to do, and partially because it’s a pain in the butt to remember everything I take in. I actually had a bit of a stomach ache around 4 o’clock today. I read somewhere today that if you’re feel hungry, drink a glass of ice water to fill you up. When that didn’t work, I ate a pear. Day 3 log is as follows:

Day 3

  • 199!
  • 5 cups of coffee
  • 6 glasses of water
  • 1 small bowl of cantaloupe
  • 1 hard boiled egg
  • 1 500mg Vitamin C tablet
  • 1 large grilled scallop salad
  • 1 pear
  • 4 slices of pork tenderloin
  • 1 helping of mash potatoes
  • 1 helping of green beans
  • 3 servings of gravy (over the last 3 items)
  • 3 Molson Canadian beers
  • 1 Miller Lite
  • 15 pushups
  • 15 leg lifts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home